The Windjammer Inn
Lake Erie Pickerel Cakes
- 1 cup poached pickerel shredded
- 1 cup grated cooked potato
- 1 finely chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Blackened Redfish Magic (or other cajun seasoning blend, or Old Bay Seasoning)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients together. You can add more spice to taste or a dash of hot sauce.
- Form or scoop mixture into balls and flatten to make cakes - compress the mixture so it will hold when cooked.
- Roll the cakes in Panko or other breadcrumbs to cover completely.
- Fry the cakes for 4 minutes per side until outside is crispy and middle is hot.
- Top with tartar sauce, Lemon Dill Aioli (recipe follows) and fresh lemon.
Cakes freeze well and can be cooked from frozen.
Lemon Dill Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff)
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic, pureed or mashed into a paste
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- zest of 1/2 lemon finely grated
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Whisk all ingredients together to mix well. Very tasty with shrimp, seafood, fish, or vegetables. Store in refrigerator.